Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Short story

Last year for school i had to write a story. We were given a list of titles we could choose for our story and base our story off from, and I'll let my story explain the rest.
Why I stay away from the woods
It's interesting that you'd ask such a question as to Why do I stay away from the woods? Why is that interesting, well I've got numerous reasons and even a few stories to help me explain myself. First off, I haven't always gone out of my way to stay out of the woods, that was when I was much younger and more naive though. Not only did I not try staying away from the woods, indeed I searched out to find entertainment within the treacherous wilderness which is referred to as “the woods”. This is not to say that all people in fact find discontent in the woods, it is just to explain why I avoid the woods at all costs.
It all started when I was about 9 years old on a hot summer day when I embarked on a hiking endeavor with my grandmother. She felt that the fresh air and a walk through the woods would be good for me. Since, this was not an uncommon thing and in fact we did frequently hike through the woods for entertainment, I held no objection. The path taken in this most life altering trip was as follows. We first went out the back door of her house, down her back yard, and past the small pumpkin patch which is beside the shed. We passed through the neighbors yard and tread on our first part of the woods on a stone path way. This was a rather minute part of the woods and we were soon back in a field which contained a large maze like patch of trees planted by hand. This was the last territory of safety before the false sense of security that some people are duped into finding in the woods passed us.
After we passed through this field, containing the tree houses and old car's my father use to play with when he was a child, we entered the woods. When you first begin your trek into them you cross a wooden bridge that is broken in many places. Luckily the stream beneath is relatively small. I had a bad feeling about that day because the normally lesser stream, was even dryer than normal. Continuing on our voyage which seemed to be headed towards never-never land, I was caught in the most fright that I have ever experienced. About a minute onto the trail, there was a small step, it was not anything to worry about, but you could possibly trip if you were paying no attention. As we came to it, I looked down, only to be confronted by the most bloodcurdling monster I have ever seen in my life. I could not speak, all I could do was try to flee from it. As my grandmother and I were holding hands, her instinct was to pull me back, assuming that I was falling and not running for my life. This sent me into an even more frenzied panic. My heart must have stopped at that point, because I don't remember what happened for the next five minutes, but what I do remember is me being back at the house, waiting for quite some time for my grandmother to catch up to me.
Once my grandmother managed to get back to her house, she insisted on having me explain in the best way a 9 year old can, why I ran so quickly. So, to my utter dismay, I described, the split tongued, rope bodied, slithering deadliness that people oh so frequently refer to as a snake. And that is why I stay away from the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment